Dear Teacher, (Insert child’s name) is absent today because:
- We just moved here which means our entire family now has the ( ) stomach bug, ( ) flu, ( ) bad allergies, ( ) hand-foot-mouth disease (or some other regional outbreak or strange skin disease every kid has already had but is still passing on to the lucky new arrivals)
- Grandparents who live 1200 miles away are in town!
- The rapid strep test he took at the base hospital wasn’t so rapid. When it finally came back (positive), we spent 2 hours waiting at the hospital pharmacy for antibiotics. We’re rapidly trying to get over it but please alert Mrs. ______ in ___ grade that my other kid will be sick tomorrow.
- Even though she had 10 days off for spring break, the return flight from Grandma’s house was $250 cheaper to fly home on the first Monday back to school.
- Parent returning from 9 month deployment. Enough said!
- We got bumped off a Space A flight. Twice.
- Today was the first day we could pick up the family dog from quarantine after our OCONUS move.
- Last minute R & R means we’re meeting mom in Disney World! I wish the timing was better (But plenty of time in the car for class assignments!).
- Best friends from 3 moves ago are passing through the area. YOLO!
- Household goods are being delivered tomorrow (it’s been switched 4 times) and the kids want to see their belongings for the first time in 4 months. On the other hand, maybe they will be in school tomorrow.
- We have the chance to watch dad do a “hollywood” jump! They’ve promised to practice multiplication flashcards at the drop zone.
- Promotion/unit/special ceremony. Trust me. He would rather be in school.
Thank you for your understanding about the situation. We look forward to _____________ returning to school soon. Very soon.